FA Cup round-up: Cambridge knock Newcastle out as Chelsea thrash Chesterfield

The third round of the FA Cup produced plenty of excitement as Premier League sides entered the competition. As has become synonymous with this stage of the cup, there were plenty of giant-killings among the afternoon’s action. Three Premier League sides departed the competition, while National League North side Kidderminster Harriers advanced to the next round. Newcastle suffered the upset of the round so far after falling to a 1-0 defeat to League One side Cambridge. The Magpies had the ball in the back of the net twice, yet both efforts were ruled out as they were frustrated by Mark Bonner’s side. But it was Cambridge who took the lead when Joe Ironside turned in from close-range, resulting in a nervy wait as VAR checked the goal. It was backs against the wall defending for the U’s for the remainder of the tie, with goalkeeper Dimitar Mitov pulling off a stunning stop to deny Joelinton in the dying moments. Read more: Newcastle 0-1 Cambridge Thomas Tuchel fielded a strong team as European champions Chelsea hosted National League side Chesterfield, with Romelu Lukaku, Timo Werner and Hakim Ziyech all starting. The Blues were ahead after just six minutes when Werner bundled home from close-range. The hosts were out of sight inside 20 minutes after Callum Hudson-Odoi and Lukaku both got on the scoresheet. Andreas Christensen delivered a delightful looping header to ensure Tuchel’s side went in to the interval with a four-goal lead. Ziyech dispatched from the penalty spot after Calvin Miller fouled Christian Pulisic.  But the visitors were able to pull a goal back 10 minutes from time when Akwasi Asante smashed in a rebound. Read more: Chelsea 5-1 Chesterfield Holders Leicester eased to a 4-1 victory over Premier League counterparts Watford at the King Power Stadium. Last season’s final matchwinner Youri Tielemans opened the scoring from the penalty spot inside 10 minutes.  James Maddison continued his fine run of form with a superb lofted finish to double the Foxes’ lead.  But Watford pulled a goal back just two minutes later as Joao Pedro fired into the corner. However, second-half goals from Harvey Barnes and Marc Albrighton sandwiched a stoppage in play due to a floodlight issue around the ground to seal the win. Read more: Leicester 4-1 Watford Rafa Benitez’s Everton required extra time to see off Championship outfit Hull City at the KCOM Stadium. The Tigers were in front after just 46 seconds as Tyler Smith headed in from a wide free-kick. Yet it was a swift response from Everton when Demarai Gray and Andre Gomes scored before the interval to flip the game on its head. Grant McCann’s side piled on the pressure and were rewarded 20 minutes from time through substitute Ryan Longman. But it was not to be for the hosts as Andre Townsend’s extra-time effort went through Nathan Baxter’s hands. Crystal Palace came from behind to defeat South London rivals Millwall at The Den. It was the Lions who took the lead when Benik Afobe dispossessed Jack Butland inside his own six-yard box before firing into the empty net. Dominated throughout the first half, Palace came out the blocks incredibly fast after the interval, with Michael Olise drawing the sides level with a superb finish after cutting inside. Olise then turned provider for the Eagles’ second goal as he sent an in-swinging cross into the box, which Jean-Phlippe Mateta met and headed past George Long. There were a few nervy moments for the visitors late on, when FA Cup hero Matt Smith — who scored a brace against Liverpool eight years ago in the competition — headed straight into the hands of Butland. Read more: Millwall 1-2 Crystal Palace Championship side Huddersfield sprung an upset by defeating Burnley 2-1 at Turf Moor. The Clarets were in front just before the half-hour mark through Jay Rodriguez’s header. But with 15 minutes left to play, Matt Lowton gifted the visitors possession and Huddersfield raced toward goal, with Josh Koroma turning in Sorba Thomas’ driven cross at the back post. Huddersfield snatched a winner with just four minutes remaining, as Matthew Pearson nodded in from a corner to break Burnley hearts. Bryan Mbeumo scored a hat-trick as Brentford saw off a spirited Port Vale 4-1 at Vale Park. Marcus Forss gave Thomas Frank’s side the lead with a powerful finish just before half hour.  Mbeumo then doubled the Bees’ advantage before Kian Harratt gave the spirited hosts hope with 20 minutes left to play. However, Mbeumo made it 3-1 shortly after before completing his hat-trick from the penalty spot. Southampton survived the first-half dismissal of Yan Valery to secure a 3-2 extra-time victory over Championship side Swansea. The Saints took the lead through Nathan Redmond before having Valery sent off after just half an hour. The hosts failed to make a real impact on the game but took the game to extra-time as Joel Piroe netted in the 77th minute. The Swans went ahead in extra time after Olivier Ntcham’s driven strike was deflected in off Jan Bednarek.  Substitutes Mohamed Elyounoussi and Shane Long struck in quick succession as Ralph Hasenhuttl’s side saw out the game. Mansfield 2-3 Middlesbrough Bristol City 0-1 Fulham (AET) Coventry 1-0 Derby Hartlepool 2-1 Blackpool Barnsley 5-4 Barrow (AET) Boreham Wood 2-0 Wimbledon Kidderminster Harriers 2-1 Reading Peterborough 2-1 Bristol Rovers QPR 1-1 Rotherham (8-7 on penalties) West Brom 1-2 Brighton (AET) Wigan 3-2 Blackburn Birmingham 0-1 Plymouth (AET) Yeovil 1-3 Bournemouth

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.