Champions League: Man City late show downs Borussia Dortmund

Two late goals enabled Manchester City to triumph 2-1 over a determined Borussia Dortmund

The liveliest moments in the opening half of this Group G clash was the sight of a frustrated City boss Pep Guardiola constantly pacing the touchline exasperated with his players and the constant chanting and bouncing of the visiting Dortmund fans.

City may well have been in control possession wise but rarely looked like breaking down a well organised Dortmund team who sat deep restricting the home sides space and easily dealing with their threats.

In fact the first shot on goal was by the Germans butEderson comfortably saved Salih Ozcan’s effort. Jack Grealish had shots blocked and Joao Cancelo fired well over as the visitor’s keeper Alexander Mayer only had routine crosses to deal with.

Whilst Dortmund rarely threatened when they did break it was in numbers and gave City a couple of scares underlining the home side could not over commit and leave gaps at the back.

And shortly after the break Dortmund broke and captain Marcus Reus hooked narrowly wide from a dangerous position. The Germans were now showing more attacking urgency and were rewarded on 56 minutes as England international Jude Bellingham glanced home a header.

Former Dortmund star Erling Haaland should have levelled from Keven De Bruyne’s pass but shot wide. City had increased the tempo but few goal scoring opportunities resulted only half chances as Dortmund defended stubbornly.

A special goal was needed to bring City level and with ten minutes remaining John Stones hit a marvellous 20 yard rocket into goal.

And inevitably it was Haaland who pounced four minutes later to turn the game around from close range. City had left it late and almost paid the price for a subdued performance, only coming to life when they fell behind.

Substitute Donyell Malen almost grabbed an equaliser but City held on for the win and at the final whistle Guardiola was shown a yellow card for challenging the Italian referee before immediately hugging the official in apology.

Full Time

Man City: 2 (Stones 80, Haaland 84)

Borussia Dortmund: 1 (Bellingham 56)

Etihad Stadium