Bayern Munich striker Sadio Mane will miss 'first games' of World Cup

Bayern Munich striker Sadio Mane will miss Senegal’s “first games” at the World Cup because of a leg injury, an official from the country’s football federation has said.

The former Liverpool forward was named in the Teranga Lions squad for Qatar despite being forced off in a club game last week.

The German champions said the 30-year-old had an injury “to his right fibula”, but Senegal coach Aliou Cisse said Mane does not need an operation.

The West Africans begin their Group A campaign against the Netherlands on Monday, with games against hosts Qatar (25 November) and Ecuador (29 November) to follow.

“We will have to rely on playing the first games without Sadio and win without Sadio,” Senegal football federation (FSF) board member Abdoulaye Sow told AP.

“No-one would have wanted it, but that’s what’s happened to us.”